Emoji, the collection of funny Japanese smileys that portray anything from a mouse to a space rocket, has become a sensation in the world of electronic communication.
What makes Emoji — a word that results from combining “e” that stands for picture and “moji” that means character — unique is that it includes an extensive and quirky range of options to represent what you need to say in a text message or email.
The popularity of Emoji keeps growing as these smileys can add a bit of fun to a post or message, and you can use them to show how you feel or to refer to a place.
If you want to get into this pictograph craze and get the Emoji keyboard on your phone or tablet, you just need to follow a few steps depending on your device.
Emoji Keyboard for Android
If your mobile device works with Android KitKat, getting Emoji will be very easy. Simply hold down the enter or search key until you get the pre-installed Emoji keyboard. For some apps, you will be able to see the Emoji icon in the lower right.
For users with a device that runs with an older Android version, such as Jelly Bean, the alternative is to download the Android KitKat keyboard APK. Keep in mind that this could impact the use of third-party apps and may even spoil your user experience, which is why we do not recommend it.
Installing the KitKat keyboard on your old Android device is risky. As an alternative, download apps like Whatsapp that include their Emoji keyboard, or you can try to install third-party Emoji alternatives.
However, if you insist on giving the KitKat keyboard APK a try, you can follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings, then Security, and mark Unknown Sources to allow you to install third-party apps from outside Google Play.
- You can find the links to get Android 4.4 keyboard APK on Android Police. Download it directly on your device. Alternatively, download it on your PC and then transfer it to your Android device.
- Once the download is complete, tap on it and follow the onscreen instructions. After the installation is complete, follow the setup tutorial from Google.
Emoji Keyboard For iOS
For iOS users, finding the Emoji keyboard may take a little longer, but once you complete the steps, you will be able to start adding entertaining images to your messages.
- Go to Settings, then General, scroll down until you find the keyboard, and tap on it.
- Tap Keyboards setting, which is under a list of toggle settings such as Auto-Capitalization. Then tap Add New Keyboard.
- Look for the Emoji keyboard, listed amongst various keyboards in additional languages, and select it.
- Once you have added the Emoji keyboard, you will have two keyboards installed. Whenever you type a text message, post on social media, or compose an email, you will see a grid-laden globe icon below the iOS keyboard. If you want to access the Emoji catalog, you just need to type that icon.
Let us know about your favorite Emoji keyboards in the comments!